Mickey Reed's Reviews > Half-Blood

Recommended for: YA fans, YA fantasy/mythology fans, Fans of Daimon
Read from June 02 to 07, 2011 , read count: 1

Yum. And sad. :o)

Merged review:

Oh. My. Goodness. I would like to start out by saying that reading Daimon first very much helps, so don't skip to Half-Blood. But read Daimon fast so you can then get to Half-Blood. It's worth it. I promise.I don't want to spoil Daimon for anyone who hasn't read it, because this one picks up right where that one left off, and the events are shocking but important. With that being said, if you have NOT read Daimon, I advice you this: DO NOT CONTINUE if you don't want spoilers! You've been warned :o)

The description on Goodreads really doesn't do this book justice. Of course the forbidden romance is alluring and pertinent to the story, but it's not always the biggest issue for Alexandria (a half-blood). Half-Blood opens up dealing with the aftermath of Daimon - Alex's mother having died at the hands of a daimon (DEE-mun). Alex has now returned to the Covenant, an island where pure-bloods and half-bloods live, learn, and work together, and the place her mother ripped her away from three years prior. Her mother had her reasons, but now she's dead and Alex has to find out on her own. Her former peers have their thoughts, but Alex tries not to listen.

Upon her return, Alex finds out that her uncle is now the Dean of the school. This could be good or bad. They've never been close, so he lays down the law: he doesn't want Alex there, but a pure-blood named Aiden fights to train her since her potential is extraordinary. Her uncle agrees, but she must be ready and caught up by fall at the start of school to stay. The alternative? Servitude and slavery, total obedience to the pure-bloods. Obviously a lot is at stake.

However, Alex has an attitude. She's snarky, spunky, and true to herself. This means she bends rules, starts fights, and doesn't back down. This could definitely get put her in hot water with the Dean. Not to mention, her step-father (a pure-blood) is on the island and could claim her at any moment since he's her legal guardian. What a mess.

As Aiden's training sessions progress, Alex starts to develop feelings for him. Sounds normal, but there are rules from the gods: Pures and Halfs can't mix romantically. Very big problem here. It becomes worse when Aiden becomes attached to Alex as well. But this is all I will tell you about this part. You absolutely must read to know more. Again, it's SO worth it.

There's a shock involving Alex's mother, and the oracle pays a visit to tell Alex her truths. Lots of Greek mythology with the gods and such.. very entertaining. I could say so much more, and I'm glad I talk to people who've read this because I want to talk nonstop about it. And I know it took a couple days to read, but I'm a slow reader, and I really wanted to just enjoy this one and let it soak in slowly.

See full review on my blog: http://imabookshark.blogspot.com/2011...
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

06/03/2011 page 12
4.0% "Slowly but surely. Only stopped because of pain. This is a good book so far!!"
06/03/2011 page 54
19.0% "So far so good!"
06/04/2011 page 105
37.0% "It's good so far!!"
06/05/2011 page 150
53.0% "This is good!"
06/05/2011 page 170
60.0% "My nook is dying. Time out!"
06/06/2011 page 217
77.0% "Don't. Want. This. To. End. :o)"
show 1 hidden update…