Donalyn's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

As a child, I was obsessed with horses and horse books. I read every Marguerite Henry book and went to horse camp for several summers. I outgrew my horse obsession, mostly, but reading The Scorpio Races reminds me why horses held my fascination.

Although, in many ways, The Scorpio Races isn't a book about horses. It's about the power of a place to hold you and the love that keeps us there. Set on the fictional island of Thisby, we find a culture that is inextricably linked to the sea and the dangerous horses who consider it their home. Like the mainland tourists who come to watch the Races each year, we are only visitors to Thisby.

We cannot stay, but we wish we could.

I was struck often by the economy and precision of Stiefvater's writing. Life on Thisby is hard and its residents don't mince words. Exchanges between characters are all the more powerful because of what's left unsaid.

I wished I knew more about Sean's circumstances after the opening scene and Kate's life before we meet her, but this is just my reader's longing to know more about characters I grew to love. Stiefvater was right to leave this backstory out because ultimately, it doesn't matter.

I thought The Scorpio Races was better than the Mercy Falls series, and I enjoyed those books immensely. I will go back and read Lament, Maggie's first book, while I wait for whatever she writes next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katrina (new) - added it

Katrina Oh, Donalyn! I have to get a copy of this now. Wonderful review.

message 2: by Stacy (new)

Stacy I agree, this book is better than the Wolves of Mercy Falls.

Barbara Wonderful review! Beautifully stated: "We cannot stay, but we wish we could."