Ariel Cummins's Reviews > Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters

Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford

Jun 03, 11

bookshelves: ya, realistic-fiction
Read from May 27 to June 03, 2011

I have to admit that this book was a little disappointing to me. I don't know how, but I somehow got the idea from the picture on the front and the blurb that this book was a Christopher-Pike-esque book with murder and deceit and intrigue. Instead, it was a Jane-Austin-esque novel with sisterly relationships and moneyed histories and romance. This certainly isn't the book's fault, but it still influenced my reading. Kind of like when you expect orange juice and you get milk -- even though you like them both, when the object you get is different than your expectations, it's hard to not let that color your experience.

Unfortunately, this book wasn't strong enough to overcome this handicap. Maybe because the narrative is broken into three confessions (one from each sister), I never got very invested in any of the characters or stories. I felt like the romance was rushed, the consequences of the family scandal were inconsequential, and the final confession was so weird that I couldn't enjoy it at all.

It's weird -- this book wasn't terrible, and it's not like the writing was offensively bad. Overall, though, I felt like it fell flat somehow, and it was definitely not my cup of tea, and I had to force myself to slog through it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters.