Jen (Books that Spark)'s Reviews > Tempted

Jun 02, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read in June, 2011

Tempted is book six in the best-selling urban fantasy House of Night series written by P. C. and Kristin Cast. If you're new to the series, don't use this book as a starting point. It's best to read the books in series order as the plots featured in this series are on-going. After feeling dissappointed after reading book five, Hunted, I started reading Tempted with hope that the magic this series has produced in the past would return and my faith in the series as a whole would be restored.

The main difference with this book in comparison to the earlier editions is that the plot switches from being told from only the protagonists perspective and readers now get to read from the perspectives of Stevie Rae, Aphrodite, Heath, Stark and Rephiam. I particulary enjoyed reading from Rephaim's point of view. It was interesting to read the enemy's thoughts and I enjoyed reading and learning more about his character. I'm glad the authors added the different perspectives. I felt it was the right time to move on from Zoey. Although she remains the main presence in the book, I feel it was a wise move and allowed for the development of the characters which up until this point have been on the sidelines.

Another character I fell more in love with while reading Tempted was Stevie Rae. She has been coming into her own for quite a while now but through her point of view it became obvious to me what such a strong and influencial character she is. Her character is a lot more complex than Zoey's is and because of this I feel Stevie Rae stole the show in this series. Her romantic relationship with an unexpected character was great to read about too.

I'd describe Tempted as transition book of the House of Night series, in that not a lot happened to further the plot in a meanigful way. However it's introduction of other point of views really saved this book for me as it allowed character development. I wouldn't say this is the best work of the Cast's however a little bit of that magic I was looking for appears to be returning as I enjoyed reading this one a lot more than previous book, Hunted.

I will be reading the seventh book, Burned, in the hope we and the House of Night series can rekindle the once satisfying and fun relationship we once shared.

www.booksthatspark.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempted.