Christine's Reviews > Academ's Fury

Academ's Fury by Jim Butcher

May 23, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from May 22 to 23, 2011

I enjoyed reading this second book in the Codex Alera series more than the first, though I think a large part of the reason may have been accurate expectations. This book followed the first in excitement and danger. We continue to basically follow the same four characters (though we get short scenes from two other viewpoints). Tavi continues to be an exciting hero, using wits instead of magic because he has no choice -- and besting the strongest fury-crafters with intelligence alone.

The biggest trouble I had with this book was that I pretty much wanted to stay in Tavi's viewpoint the whole time. Amara was in just as much danger, and showed as much wit and courage in her sphere, but she's just not as exciting or well-developed a character. This is one of the struggles I often have with multiple-POV fantasy -- that I vastly prefer one viewpoint over another, and get annoyed when I have to wade through other viewpoints to get back to them. And Amara's not completely flat, but I just can't get as excited about her as about Tavi, and though she played an important role in the first book, I'm not sure what her continued role will be in sequels.

I will definitely continue this seris, although it may be a while before I can get the next book. (Because the library for the blind is still recording it, not because I wouldn't grab it if it were available.)

www.christineamsden.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Academ's Fury.