Shellie (Layers of Thought)'s Reviews > Changeling Moon

Changeling Moon by Dani Harper

1987170
Sep 10, 11

bookshelves: blog-reviews, read-in-2011, spec-fic-fant-mythical-beings, genre-erotica, genre-womens-chic-lit-romance, spec-fic-fant-paranormal
Recommended to Shellie (Layers of Thought) by: FSB Associates
Recommended for: paranormal romance readers
Read from July 10 to August 10, 2011

Original review posted on Layers of Thought.

A well written, intelligent paranormal novel with a very sexy thread. All set within a modern world, including a special kind of “werewolf” - a changeling.

About: When Zoey moves to the Canadian countryside to escape city life she is hoping to find peace and healing. As a reporter with a gift of psychic insight she was devastated at not being able to help the victims of the tragedies that she wrote about. However, the change she sought with this move to a small town turned out to have a bit more excitement than she planned.

As the story opens she inadvertently meets handsome and down to earth local veterinarian Connor McLeod, as he rescues her during an ice storm. She is precariously fighting off the attack of a very BIG wolf. Stranded on top of her funky truck, in her attempt to survive she is bitten; a sentence which could lead to a “change” at the next full moon - but not if Connor can help it.

Thoughts: I’m not a big romance reader; I am however exploring speculative fiction. So in an attempt to explore all bases including paranormal romance, I chose Changeling Moon. I am glad since I enjoyed it. Quite a lot actually. It’s a story that is not all “love, fluff, and dreamy stuff” – what I generally don’t like about some romance. There are some intense and horrific scenes, with light cursing and more than a few very sexy scenes – which I would define as erotic. So readers that are looking for a “clean read” should be aware, but in contrast and for my tastes its swearing and gore were not blatant, misplaced or overdone. The sex was interesting and creative versus silly, boring, or just plain hilarious – a big plus; as the latter is another peeve of mine.

The story has an interesting paranormal creature – the changeling; which according to the story are like werewolves. However, they are not constrained to having to turn “animal” at every full moon. They can change at will while still retaining their mental and human clarity, allowing them control in contrast to the classic werewolf. It’s an interesting combination which I am unfamiliar with as I have read very little about werewolves in the past.

Author Dani Harper is a reporter turned novelist, which is perhaps why her main character Zoey feel very realistic. This experience also adds clarity and truism to the book around the reporting done in the novel - which gives the story a bit of needed depth. It is clear that Changeling Moon has benefited from the author’s writing experience.

I can’t say one thing bad about this novel. It was great for an escape; in a genre where one can be assured that there will be a happy ending and which readers expect. The next in the series is now sitting on my nightstand for a needed break from some of the “heavier” novels I have recently read and will be reading soon. At 4 stars – it is an intelligent and entertaining story, recommend for anyone wanting a romantic, thrilling and sexy read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Changeling Moon.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 6: by Rose (new)

Rose I find it difficult to find this combination in these types of books. Have you ever tried The Passion and The Promise by Donna Boyd? I think you might enjoy those in this genre. Smart, sexy without being insulting to the more seasoned reader.

Shellie (Layers of Thought) Thanks Rose - no I have not but will take a look.

This is the one of only a few PR that I have read and really liked (the others were abandoned) -

How is you guys?

message 4: by Rose (new)

Rose I hear ya. Not much for PR myself. But I think you will very much enjoy the Boyd books.

We are hanging in there, like the rest of the folks like us :) I am trying to plan another trip out to Arizona. I'll keep you posted to so we can get together while Frank is at work. Look forward to seeing you.

Shellie (Layers of Thought) You bet - oh the weather is starting to be so so nice.... do you still wanna spa it? They are offering great deals here now... slow economy...
But let me know as we take off here and there and may be away.

I think I will skip your recommendation since it is not really a big interest for me and I have 4 or 5 in my list that are up for review.

message 2: by Rose (new)

Rose I'll be sure to give you a heads up when I book a date to fly out. Spa sounds lovely. Could sure use it. :)

Shellie (Layers of Thought) excellent - I will keep my eyes tuned into the deals that pop up.