Algernon's Reviews > Nights in Rodanthe

Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks

May 22, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in May, 2011

[5/10] I picked the book for two reasons: I liked Diane Lane in the movie adaptation, and I was interested in a mature relationship story.

The story starts relatively well, with a reclusive spot of natural beauty and a pair of likable characters, even when one is the conspicuous handsome doctor with an athlete body and a very articulate way of expressing his feelings.
The approaching tempest is a fine way to underline the emotional turmoil of the pair, and I for one would agree with the theory that you can fall in love just as easily and fast when you are 40. as when you were 20.
The book lost me as a fan when it become obvious that the dialogue is very artificial, less like two living people having a conversation and more like relationship advice copy/pasted from the pages of a fashion journal or TV talkshow.
The second major problem is the recurrence of death as a pet quirk of the author used to create conflict and drama.

I might stick with the movie adaptations, and even those renting instead of owning, for future Sparks stories.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nights in Rodanthe.