Amy Jacobs's Reviews > The Iron King

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

May 22, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read in May, 2011

When this series first started back in 2010, I heard the hype around it. Everyone was raving about this series by this new author and I had no idea what they were talking about at first. After reading countless reviews on it, I finally broke down and purchased the first book in the series. Yes, I finally caved to the peer pressure from fellow blogger's. While I am not a huge fan of Fae and fantasy, I am a huge fan of paranormal and romance. I saw the countless badges displayed across the blogs for Team Puck and Team Ash. I heard about the romance and adventure, but I was still skeptical on being able to enjoy it.

When I first started reading it, I let my feelings for this specific sub genre surface and tried not to like it. Yet, after just a few chapters of reading about Meghan and her sweet brother, Puck and his witty attitude, and even the mystery of the man on the horse, I f finally was sucked into the land of fantasy! I absolutely adored Puck for the first part of the book. While I wasn't a fan of how he abandoned Meghan a few times, I still liked his humor and his carefree personality. Meghan was a great character as well. At first she had a hard time accepting the whimsical and out of the ordinary creatures, but she knew she had to face them if she had any chance of rescuing her younger brother from the evil that took him.

Ash was also a wonderful character in the book. While he could come across as cold and heartless at times, he grew on me pretty quickly. You could guess that he was hurt in the past and he was guarding a part of himself from Meghan. The sparks between the two were slow growing at first, but once they start to reach their destination, you could see that they were perfect for each other.

I still have the "human" part of me thinking that their are no such things as Fae and such, but now that I have read the first book in the series, I am starting to like the "mythical" part of my subconscious that is struggling to emerge now. I personally can't wait to start the next book in the series titled, The Iron Daughter, and find out what is to come after the ending the author left me with!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron King.

Quotes Amy Liked

Julie Kagawa
“I licked my lips and whispered, "Is this where you say you'll kill me?"
One corner of his lips curled. "If you like," he murmured, a flicker of amusement finally crossing his face. "Though it's gotten far too interesting for that.”

Julie Kagawa
“Oh, we're playing nice now? Shall we have tea first? Brew up a nice pot of kiss-my-ass?”

Julie Kagawa
“Touch her, and I'll freeze your testicles off and put them in a jar. Understand?”

Julie Kagawa
“Knock, knock!" he called in a high, singsong voice.
For a moment, silence. Then a thud and a crash, as if something heavy had been hurled at the door. "Go away!" snarled the voice from within.
"Ah, no. That's not how the joke goes," called Rob. "I say 'knock, knock', and you're supposed to answer with 'who's there?'"
"Fuck off!"
Nope, that's still wrong." Robbie seemed unperturbed. I, however, was horrified at Ethan's language, though I knew it wasn't him. "Here," continued Rob in an amiable voice, "I'll go through the whole thing, so you'll know how to answer next time." He cleared his throat and pounded at the door again. "Knock, knock!" he bellowed. "Who's there? Puck! Puck who? Puck, who will turn you into a squealing pig and stuff you in the oven if you don't get out of our way!" And with that, he banged the door open.”

Julie Kagawa
“So,” I demanded, trying to sound confident, “where can we find this trod to New Orleans?”
“The frost giant ruins,” Ash replied, looking thoughtful. “Very close to Mab’s court.” At Puck’s glare, he shrugged and offered a tiny, rueful smirk. “She goes to Mardi Gras every year.”
I pictured the Queen of the Unseelie Court flashing a couple of drunken partygoers, and giggled uncontrollably. All three shot me a strange look. “Sorry,” I gasped, biting my lip. "Still kind of giddy, I guess.”