Christina's Reviews > Zombies Vs. Unicorns

Zombies Vs. Unicorns by Holly Black

May 28, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, zombies, fantasy, sirens-2011
Read from May 22 to 28, 2011 — I own a copy

Team Zombie, or Team Unicorn? I am definitely a member of Team Unicorn.

That being said, until the second half of this anthology, I was seriously leaning towards the zombies! ;)

Zombies vs. Unicorns is a rich anthology featuring many well-known YA authors. Though I was a bit disappointed that there weren't any direct zombie vs unicorn battles, I did really appreciate that the stories tried to depict their chosen "team" in a few novel ways. I was quite taken with the idea of KILLER unicorns,

Favourite Stories
"The Children of the Revolution" by Maureen Johnson - This one made laugh, as it was a rather hilarious commentary on the world of celebrities with zombies added into the mix.
"Princess Prettypants" by Meg Cabot - had be giggling all along.
"The Care and Feeding of Your Baby Unicorn" by Diana Peterfreund - Beautifully written, this was an interesting twist on the traditional Unicorn story... gotta love killer unicorns! Also makes me want to go out and find other books by this author.

Least Favourite Stories
"A Thousand Flowers" by Margo Lanagan - I struggled with this one a bit, both for the context as well as the shifting point of views.
"Prom Night" by Libba Bray - After so many great stories, I felt like this one was a bit of a let-down. I wish it had been longer, or maybe just more developed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombies Vs. Unicorns.