Ernest Junius's Reviews > The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories

The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories by Ernest Hemingway

May 22, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: books-that-took-forever-to-finish, melancholy-and-all-emotional, owned, relaxing-reads, tragedy, world-adventures
Recommended for: literaturists
Read from July 12, 2010 to May 22, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I've read it over the course of almost a year. It is really a long time to finish such a thin book. Not that I don't like it, the stories Hemingway wrote is very depressing and war-ish, therefore it would be too much to read it all in one shot. I like few stories, including The Snows of Kilimanjaro, Fifty Grand, and The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber but some stories I just didn't understand. Hemingway's prose is so short and too concise sometimes if you are not patient, you will miss something. Honestly I don't really like his prose style. What I like most about his writing is his depression and overly exaggerated pain and emotion, and also his skepticism toward women.

I am not sure if this book will serve as what its cover said, "The ideal introduction to Hemingway". For me the best introduction to Hemingway still would be his full-length novels, such as A Farewell to Arms. Because some of the short stories in The Snow of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories are forgettable. I would recommend this for anybody who is interested to study more about Hemingway's psyche. While for enjoyment, I didn't enjoy the stories as much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories.