Brad's Reviews > I Spy a Butterfly

I Spy a Butterfly by Jean Marzollo

May 22, 11

bookshelves: children, read-to-scoutie, to-my-kids, to-scoutie, annoying
Read on May 22, 2011, read count: 100s

I am sick of this book. I am going to be pulling my hair out tonight when Scoutie toddles over and says, "Book!" and then clambers up onto my lap and I get down to reading it to her.

I love having her on my lap and listening to her try to form the sounds to all the words I read, especially as she struggles with her "s" sound, and I really love the smooches she demands every time she finds one of the clues in Walter Wick's big pictures (and I really dig his photos), so there are some things to like about I Spy A Butterfly

But Jean Marzollo's writing is basically crap. Sometimes she rhymes and sometimes not. Sometimes she nails her meter and sometimes not. And then there are annoying punctuation errors, like her misplaced apostrophes, which drive me mad (and bring out my permanent marker for a bit of homemade editing).

Whatever. My baby girl loves this book, and her love saves this book from the compost. So it's okay. I will read it, and try to keep as much of my hair as possible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Spy a Butterfly.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 4: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Aww! Try to get her started on Where's Waldo?

Brad Is that good? I always assumed it was crappy. Since you recommend it, Eh?Eh!, I will try to find one and get her interested. Thanks.

message 2: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Well, one person's enjoyment is another person's crappy. :o) I liked the Where's Waldo books, but I didn't have I Spy a Butterfly when I was a wee little one. Maybe it would be too much, a jumble of tiny tiny figures? It could be something to save for later.

Charlie I thought "Where's Waldo" were just as bad though I've never read them.