Kereesa's Reviews > D.Gray-man, Volume 01

D.Gray-man, Volume 01 by Katsura Hoshino

May 22, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, angels-demons, fantasy-all-others, favorites, manga, manga-english, manga-shonen, own, paranormal, historical, young-adult, cuddle-plus, necromancy-ghosts-and-the-dead, fangirling, own-softcovers, own-manga
Recommended for: Fans of Bleach or Full Metal Alchemist
Read on May 20, 2011 — I own a copy

D.Gray-Man (I have no idea where the title comes from) is shonen manga reminescent of Kubo's Bleach series and the steampunk world of Full Metal Alchemist. Following our hero, Allen, an exorcist in a world where demons, akumas, are created by an evil being known as the Millenium Earl as he must fight these evil beings before they and Millenium Earl take the souls of others. Using bits and pieces of biblical mythology, 19th century steampunk elements, and a captivating cast and storyline, D.Gray-Man was definitely one of the more interesting mangas I've ever read.
So the first volume in this series is bit episodic. Evil being pops in, Allen kills it, basically continually introductions to the world and Allen in general. Things start to pick up around the 4th or 5th chapter, though, and we get to really see the cast of characters the mangakan is going to be working with as well a brief outline of where the series will be going. ie mysteries surrounding the akuma are revealed a little bit.
AND IT'S AWESOME.
Without spoiling anything, I love the idea of this world. I love where the story is going to go, I'm entranced by the characters, and it's a manga I knew I'd instantly like when I first started to read it. I like my fantasy dark and dangerous with good strong characters and D.Gray-Man fit that bill very well.
The only thing I didn't like about the manga was the art style. I'm a big sucker for beautiful art. It's sad, but I tend to get attracted to manga with an attractive art style. D.Gray-Man reminds me a lot of another art style, the one in Rosario+Vampire (a series I read) though it's not as pretty, and even though it is really well done, part of me wishes it was prettier. YES I KNOW I'M A TERRIBLE PERSON. I'll get over my shallow tastes soon I promise you. I'm even looking at books with ugly covers. It's improvement. Forgive me?
All in all, D.Gray-Man is wonderfully done with intriguing characters, a lovely storyline, and lots of things to keep me guessing and dying to know where Allen <3 (I LOVE him so much) will end up. 4/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read D.Gray-man, Volume 01.

Jerica Anna Ramientas the author said that he just though it out of thin air.. the fist titles that he thought are titles like the "Zone" , "Dolls" and "kuronowa (means black noah.. he said the title has many meanings to it..

Kereesa Neat! I didn't know that!