Rebecca's Reviews > Mirror of the World: A New History of Art

Mirror of the World by Julian Bell

2201113
Jun 09, 11

bookshelves: arc-and-anth, art, history, myths-and-legends, non-fiction, reviewed
Recommended to Rebecca by: 6th Form HoA Teacher
Recommended for: Art History and Anthropology students
Read from May 22 to June 08, 2011, read count: 1

This is an interesting book, tracing art history (mostly) chronologically across the whole world and exploring connections between different cultures etc... And it was interesting. And it has some very quotable lines. But it's not going to be my first port of call for a History of Art reference book: it doesn't go into enough depth for me, either into the different artists in a different peiod/culture, or into enough depth about the artists it does talk about. It more sees the art as a way into the social history of a place (well it is called 'Mirror of the World' I suppose) and it is very interesting from that point of view, but I don't think its a 'new art history'... more 'a book that will be useful when considering certain aspects of art or if you want to know what was happening in art across the world at the same time as a certain artist' (phewph can see why that isn't the subtitle come to think to it).

In total 3.5/5, which rounds up to four... but luckily I got this from a library, I'm not going to pay my prize money for a permanent copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mirror of the World.