Janl's Reviews > Those Across the River

Those Across the River by Christopher Buehlman

U 50x66
May 22, 11

Read in March, 2011

I was also fortunate to see an advance copy of this book and endorse John Michael Decker’s review in every respect. I had no idea this was a horror story, which I wouldn’t normally choose to read, hence I read it with an open mind. The first chapter enthralled me, and by the time I realised it was a horror story, I was hooked.

I was familiar with the author’s writing ability from his plays and poetry, but i wasn’t expecting a well-crafted work of such exceptional quality, depth, erudition and masterful storytelling. as an ex-publisher’s reader & copy editor, I’ve read many books and Those Across The River stands out. If I had come across the manuscript as a publisher’s reader, I would have urged the company to grab it, as Penguin clearly has. Penguin is not a company who publishes any old book, it’s pretty choosy, and recognises a potential best-seller.

The plot, dialogue, characterisation & background are first-class & authentic, and the writing carries you along effortlessly. John Decker has summarised the story well. I read it in two sittings, couldn’t put it down. I was there, I knew the characters, got involved with them, and was taken by surprise by the outcome. This is prize-winning standard literature. You are going to hear more of Christopher Buehlman. If you love a great story, brilliantly told, you’ll relish this book.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Those Across the River.

Michele I haven't seen his plays but I hunted up his poetry and really liked it. Did you know he's doing a kickstarter campaign to fund publicity for his third book? It's pretty fun, see http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2... The backer rewards are very cool; in fact one of them is a copy of one of his unpublished plays :)