Ronyell's Reviews > How Much Is a Million?

How Much Is a Million? by David M. Schwartz

I have actually first heard of this book through “Weston Woods” and I have enjoyed it ever since! “How Much Is a Million?” is a mathematical children's book by David M. Schwartz along with illustrations by Steven Kellogg and it is about how Marvelosissimo the Mathematical Magician shows kids how much it would take to count to a million! “How Much Is a Million?” is a truly brilliant book for children who want to learn more about mathematics!

This book basically explains about how much a million would be and here is one of the excerpts from the book that explains about how much a million really is:

“If you wanted to count from one to one million, it would take you about twenty-three days.”

Wow! This book was simply amazing! David M. Schwartz has done an excellent job at helping children explore the wonders of math! I loved how David M. Schwartz used a magician in the story to help show a group of kids about how a million is measured as it was interesting seeing how a million is measured whether seeing how big a goldfish bowl has to be to fit a million goldfish or how many days it would take to count to a million without stopping. What really help me understand the mathematics used in this book was how David M. Schwartz provided well-thought out calculations at the end of the book. When I first read this book, I thought that the numbers used in this book to describe how much time or space is used when counting to a million were exaggerated and were meant to just humor children. However, when I looked at the back of the book and saw David M. Schwartz's calculations, I realized that these numbers were actually true and that really shocked me! I also loved the way that David M. Schwartz made the text be shown in uppercase letters throughout the book because it really brings out the creativity of this book and it made the book much more interesting to read about. Steven Kellogg's illustrations are extremely creative and beautiful and what I really loved about the illustrations was how it showed all kinds of kids participating in measuring a million. My favorite images in this book was of the tower of a million kids and how they would be able to reach the tallest buildings, the highest mountain and farther up then planes can fly and I also loved the image of the kids growing older whenever it takes them days to count to a million.

Overall, “How Much Is a Million?” is a truly brilliant book about counting that children will love to read over and over again for the pleasure of knowing how much a million really is! I would recommend this book to children ages four and up since there is nothing inappropriate in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Much Is a Million?.