Janelle Dazzlepants's Reviews > StarCraft: Ghost Academy, Volume 2

StarCraft by David Gerrold

May 24, 11

bookshelves: aliens, comics, manga, psychic-abilities, sci-fi, utopia-dystopia
Read from May 22 to 24, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Since there's currently no blurb listed on Goodreads, here's a spoilery recap of this issue:

Plot: Aal Cistler is forcibly readmitted to the Academy, and is determined to bring Team Blue down. Lio suffers through rehab, to emerge as a stronger and more focused soldier. Dylanna likes Tosh, but Tosh hooks up with Nova in response. Phash's kid has the ability to astral project, and Nova tries to follow up on his projections. A second storyline emerges, where kids from old families are seeking refuge from Zerg in a bunker. One of these kids has a mysterious tie to Nova. It appears the recruits will be sent to save them.

As my favourite character, I loved where Lio's story went in this issue. I thought his story was more interesting and sad than Nova and Delta's lives on the street/factory, and I want to learn more about his home planet, his peoples' penchant for being hair-free, the Hab and his uncle. I really felt for him during his flashbacks, and the 2 page spread for his psychotic break was so detailed, horrific and beautiful. The experiments were reminiscent of the Ludovico treatment in A Clockwork Orange, which is one of my favourite books and movies. I'll miss the old kooky Lio, but I'm excited to see what he can achieve with his newfound clarity.

In other news, I didn't like Nova and Tosh's 5 second relationship. I didn't perceive any chemistry in vol. 1, so it came out of nowhere. I'm finding Dylanna increasingly irritating, I hate that she was portrayed as a stereotypical butch angry lesbian, then turned out to be hetero and in love with Tosh *yawn*. Kath and Delta didn't need to be in this issue at all, they barely did anything.

On a more positive note, we got to learn more about the Zerglings, Hydralisks and Defilers! I didn't know there were different creatures/components to the Zerg - are they all Zerg? I'm interested to see where this storyline with the rich kids is going. Antonia appears to be a technopath and Morgan has mysterious ties to Nova. It seems the recruits will be sent to rescue them, but I don't know what to expect beyond that. I'm also stoked to find out that Phash's kid can astral project!

Unfortunately I experienced more issues with the artwork, namely the Zerg, simulations and hand-to-hand combat sessions. The artists cram too much detail into Zerg panels, so all I can see is a mass of sinew, goo and dust clouds. I just have to assume the Zerg are ripping people to shreds. Also, during the hand-to-hand combat sessions and simulation exercises at the Academy, I can't tell who's winning until someone lands on their ass. It's not a problem specific to this manga as it also happened in reading Biomega. I wonder if I'd be less confused if the manga were in colour.

Overall: Volume 1 was full of gaps, but Volume 2 helps to fill these in.....to an extent. We learn more about the Zerg, and are introduced to a host of new characters. Lio fans will either love the tragic changes in character development, or mourn the old Lio.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read StarCraft.

05/22/2011 page 43