Julia Graf's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Jul 04, 11

bookshelves: dystopia, young-adult
Read from July 03 to 05, 2011

Meh. It was ok. Lauren Oliver has a way with words, she's no Cormac McCarthy but she's definitely a pretty good writer. Well, maybe she loves words and descriptions a tad too much because I swear to God by the time the ACTUAL story really started in the book, my Kindle was at 52% done. Yawn. The last half of the book was good, the first half was a total snooze fest.

Maybe I've been reading too many YA dystopian novels back to back, but I think the ending to this book would have been an AWESOME ending to the whole thing. Why must every book now be part of a trilogy? The ending left things open to interpretation, and I personally would have preferred that to what I know is coming in the next book: She battles for a revolution, and probably there will be a love triangle again. Urgh! Why are these books so formulaic? Maybe I have to read some proper adult books again but somehow I just keep getting sucked in. The ending as it stands in Delirium would have been epic, very tragic Romeo and Juliet style. But I guess no YA book can end without a happy ending - so on to Book 2. Knowing my poor resolve, I'll probably read it anyway in a moment of weakness. Well, I can live with that since it only takes me about a day to read most YA books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sara (Just Another Story)  Walker You should try The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. It's an adult novel, it's not dystopian. I liked it. It gets a little fantastical at times but it's good.

message 2: by Erika (new)

Erika really? a day?
wow, i wish i could read that fast

Jessica I agree, I wish it was a stand alone novel! I thought the ending was perfect.