·Karen·'s Reviews > Started Early, Took My Dog

Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson

May 23, 11

bookshelves: brits
Read from May 22 to 23, 2011

Maybe I'm overdosing on Kate Atkinson right now. My Mum brought this with her and managed to finish it while she was staying with us, despite her obsession with being helpful. Luckily I had four hand-knitted pieces that have been sitting around waiting to be turned into a pullover, so I could offer her her favourite job of hand-sewing, but apart from that it was sometimes tricky to find tasks for her to do. But she must have sat unoccupied for long enough to get right through this, and of course I could hardly resist starting it straight away. But it is perhaps a little like eating something sweet and tasty - it hits the spot and gives you that sugar rush, but reading two Kate Atkinsons back to back is inadvisable. It's all there: the energy, the pace, the drive, the concern with what men do to women, the concern for how children or dogs can be the punching ball of bullies and the victims of the feckless. But it begins to feel slightly formulaic; I'm not sure if this strikes me only because I read One Good Turn so recently, or if the pattern is beginning to get a little tired.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Started Early, Took My Dog.

05/22/2011 page 301

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa I know what you mean about 'series' of this type, by anyone. It's one reason why I've ended up avoiding them for the most part.

·Karen· Maybe we just need variety.

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Karen wrote: "Maybe we just need variety."

Probably. The other reason I try to avoid series is that if I like the first one, I want to read the rest, which of course can add many, many books to the TBR list!

message 4: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Karen, this is a sweet review! :-)

I occasionally enjoy a series if the author has interesting characters and writes a compelling story each time.

·Karen· Thanks Barbara! The characters are interesting and the story is compelling: so it's just me being pernickety.

message 6: by astried (new)

astried "But it is perhaps a little like eating something sweet and tasty - it hits the spot and gives you that sugar rush, but reading two Kate Atkinsons back to back is inadvisable."

Thank you for this. I've just finished One Good Turn and was going to rush through another Atkinson when I read your review. Yes, binging in anything doesn't usually end good. So I'll find other thing to read before going back to Atkinson. She deserved being read properly.