Red Lace's Reviews > Full Moon Rising

Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur

Aug 01, 14

bookshelves: keri-arthur, urban-fantasy, vampires, werewolves-shifters
Recommended for: urban fantasy fans
Read from August 10 to September 02, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Riley Jenson is very special, for she is a werewolf / vampire hybrid, which is a very rare natural occurrence. She works for the Directorate of Other Races alongside her twin brother, Rhoan, which is an organisation to help keep humanity safe and keep in check the non-human races of the world. Things for Riley ‘heat up’ as the full moon is near and her need to mate burns in her veins, but it isn’t all pleasure for her. Being attacked by clones and unnatural cross-breeds sends Riley into a spiral of events that will change her life. Can Riley keep alive even when the moon rides her so hard?

It took me a long while to read this book due to personal reasons and being in hospital, but saying that, I could have read it sooner. It just wasn’t something I was dying to finish.

I started reading with an open mind, taking into account the other reviews I had previously read about the book. I was prepared.

The casual and recurring sex didn’t bother me in the slightest. The celebration of sex was quite understandable, considering dogs and the like do go into heat. Not every month, but still do, nonetheless. Bringing more sexuality into the werewolf genre was interesting, but it failed. I don’t need reminded at every page that the fever is burning within Riley. I don’t need it repeated over and over. I don’t have a three second memory span.

I don’t have much to say about Riley. I do like her, even though she thinks she is just beautiful and amazing at sex. Yes, she wears high heels and barely any clothing but... so what? Can’t our heroines be more feminine sometimes? She could have been a LOT worse. With me, I care more about actions than clothes. Did she do anything to practically tick me off? No.

The author obviously loves Riley very much; someone who has no training but knows how to kick butt all the same. So, beautiful, amazing at sex and kicks butt. Could there be anything else to make her more perfect? Oh, yeah, she may recieve more awesome abilities in the future due to being drugged against her will.

One thing that bothered me to no end was the absolute lack of description of her wolf form. The 'changing into it and changing back' thing was just a total lack of imagination or plain laziness. We don't even know if her senses change or what she feels in that form. I like to know more about my werewolves.

The plot was not that great. It didn’t reel me in and get me excited. It was a bit different than the norm, but didn’t keep me interested. Riley seemed to be a very special girl indeed, as a lot centred on her.

I didn’t really connect to any of the characters. Rhoan was flat and I didn’t care for him at all. Did he even have a personality? Jack was okay, if a bit creepy. Quinn was HOT! Oh, apologies, it seemed the book has branded that into my mind. Quinn was all right. I would like to see more of him. Obviously he cares for Riley more than he lets on.

First book in the series, so perhaps it will improve.