Heather Tisdale's Reviews > Those in Peril

Those in Peril by Wilbur Smith

2003692
Jun 14, 11

Read from May 21 to June 15, 2011

3.5 I love Wilbur Smith, but this one was a little rocky for me. I didn't like the dialogue and that hindered my ability to really get into the book. While there was something likable about the characters, there was also something unrealistic about htem. I couldn't tell the precise time period either. I guess I could google some of the planes and equipment used in the book, but I wish it had been more clear. I also didn't love the Islam verses the "infadels" thing. Smith wrote about piracy of the coast of Africa, something that's happening today and is an important situation that needs to be delt with, but I think the fact that it's currently happening made it difficult for me to stomach the book. On that end, Smith did a wonderful job. He invoked emotion from me. I have a very difficult time reading about idiots out there (no matter race, religion, nationality, gender...) that don't value the life of other humans. The fact that others rape, stone, or torture someone for simply existing, trying to feed themselves, or even for love just breaks my heart. The fact that they find ways to justify it just makes me angry. That's why I had a hard time getting through this book. I wanted to strangle some of the characters. I wanted to smack them on the back of the head and tell them to smarten up. Obviously, I can't do such a thing, so instead I put the book down and forced myself to relax before coming back to it on multiple occassions. So, my issues with the book (aside from dialogue) stem more from personal preference than Smith's writing.

What I did like about the book was the end. I like how everything comes together and some of the extreme things that happen. While, I'm against torture and all those things I mentioned above in 99% of cases, if someone has tortured others, I don't feel sympathy for them. I'm "okay" with them being tortured until they die. Not if they've just been accused, or even found guilty because of evidence, but if it was witnessed by many, or recorded like it was in the story, and it was something brutal...
*I put okay in quotes because I wouldn't be proud or excited by the fact, but if put in that situation I think I might just walk away without standing up for the person. I'd feel horrible about it, but I can't honestly say without a doubt that I'd regret that decision. Hopefully, I'll never have to find out.

Okay, enough ranting...Smith's Egyptian and Courtney series still remain my favorite.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Those in Peril.