Niki Mclaren's Reviews > Rush Home Road

Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens

May 21, 2011

bookshelves: canadiana
Read from May 21 to 23, 2011

This is my second time reading a Lori Lansens novel and I can not wait to get my hands on another. I was surprised at how different her writing was in comparison to The Girls, and could not even tell I was reading the same author.
Rush Home Road is about a 70-year old woman who takes in an abandoned little girl. The setting takes place in Ontario, and Canadian backdrops always tug at my heart strings. There was also a lot of history regarding the Underground Railroad, Africville, and the black communities that sprung up in the 1960's. The book was a tad too dramatic, with one distressing thing after another happening to the main characters, but that being said, the depiction of human nature was extraordinarily done and the book was constantly pulling me in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rush Home Road.

message 1: by Rob (new)

Rob Richards I may have to look at this. If there's one thing I enjoy, it's oodles of suffering.

Niki Mclaren Two peas in a pod we are.

message 3: by Tasha-Lynn (new) - added it

Tasha-Lynn where did you get this book...and can I borrow it eventually when I finish the 200 on my "Currently Reading" list? :)

Niki Mclaren The CBC book sale. I bought another Lori Lansens book there as well. Their Canadian section was phenomenal. And of course you can borrow it! What a silly question. Do you own The Girls? I thought it was better than this one. Although I loved this one, The Girls was something else.

message 5: by Tasha-Lynn (new) - added it

Tasha-Lynn I picked up The Girls at one of the last sales..just havent read it yet..lol story of my life :)