Red Lace's Reviews > The Darkest Passion

The Darkest Passion by Gena Showalter

Dec 14, 14

bookshelves: gena-showalter, favourites, demons, romance-paranormal
Recommended for: LOTU fans
Read from August 02 to 10, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Top Read 2011

As the Keeper of Wrath, Aeron doesn’t desire any females and rarely thinks of romantic relationships, something he swears he’ll never have. In his long life he’s known only bloodlust and the need to punish people for their sins. Never has Aeron felt the need for a certain woman or the pleasure of love, until he meets Olivia. She is a fallen angel, once a warrior commanded to slay him, but ultimately could not hurt him. She was thrown out of the heavens for one reason; her desperate need to be with Aeron. But things don’t go smoothly for them both as something is made very clear; nobody wants them to be together. Not Aeron’s demon daughter, not Olivia’s angel mentor. Being as determined as she is, Olivia doesn’t give up. But how will things turn out?

(Please be aware that this review may contain spoilers before reading further.)

A good book makes you feel a number of emotions, such as happiness, sadness, anger and joy. If you don’t feel anything while reading a book, then you clearly aren’t connected to the characters. Reading this series is like looking into the lives of friends. Each one I dearly care about and I wish a happily-ever-after. Their emotions and actions affect me to endless levels. I just can’t get enough.

Olivia, the lead female, amused me so much. She made Aeron hers even before she fell from the clouds. She expressed such determination and perseverance. Aeron was her man, she continually made that very clear, even if he was resisting her. The scene where she tried to see him naked, but failed horribly, was just hilarious.

She gave everything up for a man; her immortality, her wings and her cloud. This is something that would be considered stupid, but instead of destroying herself by killing Aeron, she actually saved herself. Even though she was unsure how he felt about her, she knew they were soul mates. She stayed strong until the very end, even at the possibility of Aeron betraying her.

I absolutely loved Legion when she was introduced, but that love died in this book. No longer was she the little adorable demon, but a scheming little girl that I wanted to slap. Perhaps that is too harsh, as she loved Aeron from the start. She just couldn’t get it into her head Aeron thought of her as a daughter, not a lover.

Aeron had always been a sexy one, with his tattoos and wings, but he was always so hard and closed off. Understandable, taking into consideration his demon can take over him often and drive him to a bloodlust that would never be sated. In this book we see a different Aeron. We see, more in depth, his affection for Legion and his friends. He did a good job resisting Olivia, but of course he couldn’t have kept that up.

The love scenes were hot and didn’t have much of the babble that usually accompanies them. Aeron was just... drool-worthy. I was disappointed he lost all his tattoo's in the end. I really loved them.

And Scarlet? Oh, I can’t wait to read the next. Another female Lord, yum!