Red Lace's Reviews > The Darkest Pleasure

The Darkest Pleasure by Gena Showalter

Dec 14, 14

bookshelves: gena-showalter, favourites, demons, para-romance
Recommended for: romance fans
Read from June 11 to 17, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Top Read 2011

He only feels pleasure through pain; through the slicing his own skin, the breaking of his own bones. He craves for his own blood to be shed. He is Reyes, Keeper of Pain, and he desires a woman who thinks him an enemy and a monster at first. Danika Ford is his angel, yet he believes he will corrupt her with his demon, so they have no future, as he does not want to taint her good heart. They are too different; dark and light. And surely she would be disgusted by his need for pain. But will they, some way, overcome all and get to be together?

(Please be aware that this review may contain spoilers before reading further.)

Gena Showalter has reached perfection in this third instalment!

I wasn't overly excited about reading Reyes’ story. Since the first book, when Reyes and Danika were introduced, we knew they were meant to be together, but it wasn't something I was desperate for. I was then surprised to find how good this book actually was.

Reyes truly has to battle with himself almost constantly. I felt for him, I really did. He would push himself away from Danika, more than once, because of the possibility of tainting her and making her drunk on his demon. He thought he should be alone forever. It was difficult for him, having to inflict pain upon himself with Danika around. He wanted to shield her from the ugliness whilst she wanted to be a part of it.

I liked Danika, even though she decided to work for the hunters. Her life was messed up, but she only wanted what was best for her family. She had to make a lot of hard decisions and she stayed strong. I didn't want her to die; I very much didn't want it, so when I feel that way about a character I know they're special.

A lot of things happened in this book, so I wasn't bored at any time. There were a lot of shocks and jaw dropping moments. I loved it. I finished one chapter, which left at a cliff-hanger, so I instantly went onto the next. Also, we see short conversations between man and demon for the first time, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

And... Oh my God. Legion! I love this little she-demon! Legion made me laugh and ‘awwww’ out loud. Really a wonderful addition I didn't see coming. So many new folk are living in the fortress now since the start of this series and it will only grow. I am a sucker for big happy families. I’m glad William is staying, even though he nearly killed Lucien in the last book. Forgive and forget, right?

The hunters are really showing how stupid and corrupted they are. Where, at the start, they had reason to hate the warriors, they seem to be brainwashed now, thinking that all evil stems for them. They are annoying and I want them all to die. Harsh? Hardly. They are a cult, led by the very thing they hate. Not the brightest apples in the basket.

I can’t wait to read the next book! All of my little irritations with the two previous books vanished when reading this one.