Jennifer's Reviews > Swear

Swear by Amanda Hocking

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: to-read

SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE 4th BOOK!

From Amanda Hocking's Blog

I think I need to clarify the following things. My problems with writing Swear aren't because a lack of ideas, writer's block, or because of my publishers. I know exactly how the book ends. I don't believe in writer's block. And I'm actually in trouble with foreign publishers for not writing it.

I don't know how to explain it to you any better than I already have. I feel completely disconnected from all the characters.

One of the biggest issues I have is the that love triangle is over. It ended at the end of Wisdom. Alice made her choice, once and for all. The fifth book for Swear would be about wrapping up some loose ends. But there is no love triangle. Alice chose very clearly at the end of Wisdom.

Below I am going to offer a SPOILER filled explanation of the love triangle. If you wish not to read it, you have that option. If you wish to, just highlight it.

What about Jack's one? Alice was meant for Peter. - No, she wasn't. Elise was meant for Peter. When Jack was turned into a vampire, he died. He was technically dead. That screwed up everything. The blood bond that was meant for him - namely, Alice's - crossed over to Peter. She was actually always meant for Jack. The whole point of their love story, however, is that Alice and Jack fall in love with each other before the blood bond kicks in. They got to know each other, then fell in love.

This was my intention all along, and the whole point of the series actually was free will. Alice loved Jack because she wanted to, not because of fate. It eventually turns out they were fated anyway, but that's not why she fell in love with him.

But for those of you filled with rage now at this, shouting what? I love Peter! You'll understand why I didn't write the book now. Writing a book is hard work and I put my heart and soul in it. I have no interest in working hard on something to have people send me hate mail.

You may be saying, well, then why don't you just change the ending? Because I can't. That would be a lie. I can't write things I don't believe in, that I don't care about it. You may not like my writing or agree with my choices, but I do. That's what makes it work. I believe in and am passionate about what I write. I knew from the first book that Alice would end up with Jack, and I can't change just because it would make people unhappy

But I also can't bring myself to work so hard on something that I know will only make people unhappy. When I think about it, it makes my chest tight and my stomach twist up. It's made me hate the series and hate all the characters in it, which makes me further disconnected from the story.

That's where I'm at. That's why I'm stuck. And until I can find a way to write a book that I believe in, that lives up to the expectations that people have for the series, that's where I'm at.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swear.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Need more Alice & Jack now!

message 2: by Allie (new) - added it

Allie Rashkow I Loved the ending of the 4th book. It was great and I don't think it requires more. Imagination! I do love Alice and Jack though. Peter always kind of bugged me. Thank you for all you wonderful writing Amanda!

message 3: by Jennifer (last edited Sep 07, 2014 08:51PM) (new) - added it

Jennifer Allie wrote: "I Loved the ending of the 4th book. It was great and I don't think it requires more. Imagination! I do love Alice and Jack though. Peter always kind of bugged me. Thank you for all you wonderful wr..."

I agree! And it was clear Alice would end up with Jack and she should. She chose him.

message 4: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena I can't believe she's giving up on the series because the little poncy Alice&Peter fan club has the NERVE to bug her about the way she writes her own books. This is so unfair to us, true fans of the series who accept the story the way it is...

message 5: by Jennifer (last edited Apr 15, 2012 01:50AM) (new) - added it

Jennifer Elena wrote: "I can't believe she's giving up on the series because the little poncy Alice&Peter fan club has the NERVE to bug her about the way she writes her own books. This is so unfair to us, true fans ..."

I know! Do you know how many series I have read where the girl doesn't end up with the guy I want? Like a million but why people are getting so angry over this series I don't understand. Especially when it was really clear Alice would end up with Jack and Peter was a douche.

message 6: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena Yes yes yes. If I had to write spiteful emails to every single author whose pairings I did not favour.. Let's just say it would be an awful lot of messages, time and effort wasted. You just adapt, instead of whining and hating. The most awful thing in this ridiculous situation is how Amanda must feel when her own fans turn back on her like that.. Really, most awful and unpleasant this is.

message 7: by Adriana (new) - added it

Adriana Rios de Biedermann I love Alice and Jack together....

message 8: by Jennifer (last edited Apr 15, 2012 09:49AM) (new) - added it

Jennifer Adriana wrote: "I love Alice and Jack together...."

Me too! They are perfect! And it was special that they chose each other. I'm sad that the Peter fans are making her not want to write this last book :-( But there are plenty of Jack fans that are happy. It's not like everyone is ever happy with a love triangle, usually half the fans will be disappointed. So I don't get it but oh well. Maybe one day? But it really sounds like it won't be happening.

Mykayla I really hope she writes it anyway, I can't be left hanging by my favorite series....it's just wrong and I love Jack

texxie-prufreads.blogspot.com What. the. flying. fuuuuuu. seriously? how did i miss this update? I agree with Elena. Not finishing because some fans are upset? REALLY? i mean, REALLY??

message 11: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer texxie wrote: "What. the. flying. fuuuuuu. seriously? how did i miss this update? I agree with Elena. Not finishing because some fans are upset? REALLY? i mean, REALLY??"

I know! It is so incredibly rude and selfish, not only to Amanda Hocking but to the rest of the fans that love Alice and Jack and want the series to continue. And I mean Amanda Hocking should know that when you write a love triangle half the fans are going to be upset. That's what happens with love triangles but it shouldn't stop her or make her feel like she should change the story. It's all just ridiculous and I'm so sad cause I loved the series and wanted to see Alice become a hunter and maybe marry Jack.

Krystal {BOOK ADDICT} i finished #4 and wanted more, but i dont want it to be like other series where people just keep writing and the series just starts getting boring

message 13: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Krystal {BOOK ADDICT} wrote: "i finished #4 and wanted more, but i dont want it to be like other series where people just keep writing and the series just starts getting boring"

She had planned on just one more book, the 5th one to wrap everything up.

message 14: by Lina (new) - added it

Lina Thinking abouut her and Jack makes my stomach twist! I want heer with Peter! Everybody can see that he loves her and wants her. Jack was just there by accident, fell for her because of the bond he has with Peter! I din't want her with Jack. She was ment for Peter all along!!!! :'(

message 15: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Every time I have read the series, I can only see Alice with Jack. There are little moments where Alice thinks that she should be with Peter... but that was not what her heart wanted. Alice and Jack were meant to be!!!

I would love to see a 5th book... I wish there was one. I want to see how well she ends up as a Vampire Hunter. She kicked butt in the last fight, and I cant wait til she does more. I love the way that Amanda wrote it!!!

message 16: by Alexandria (new) - added it

Alexandria Sides I agree with Erin I cant see Alice with Jack hes to childish and naive and Peter is just right up her ally but Im not the author and cant finish it. My only hope is that thee will be a 5th book

message 17: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Adair i understand sometimes people freak out and act out when something doesnt go the way they want. but i always knew she would end up with jack not peter. It sucks people caused such a problem that you do not want to write this and it hurts taht other people ruined it for those of us that was looking forword to it

message 18: by Brigette (new)

Brigette Turner I was so nervous she was going to have her like Peter more there towards the end!! Thank goodness shes keeping them together and Amanda if you read these please don't punish your non complaining fans for the selfish assholes that are out there.... Don't change a thing and pleeeease put the last book out there like you originally planned. I'm so sad I don't get to see Jack and Alice together happy for awhile.

message 19: by Candice (new)

Candice I'm real sorry people are sending her hate mail but I'm sure she is not the only writer out there to receive such things. I'm sure there are plenty of people (writers) who have still finished a series. She does have loyal fans who hate that she want write book four. Well what about those fans....she just gave up on those fans didn't she. Hey don't get me wrong I like her stuff but I'm not sure I will buy anymore of her books. I know it hurts what people say but you should look past that and thank about all your loyal and positive fans. Not the bitter and disappointed fans. I believe if she no longer gonna write book four than they should take it off Goodreads as a future read.

message 20: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer She says she still wants to write it once she is inspired.

Kiara You should right it how you feel like I will love it matter what

message 22: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Boath Amanda,these are your thoughts and your ideas, you are giving the world a great gift through sharing freely your passion,please don't let your readers make you turn against your Caracters continue to write your stories as you see fit and if anyone does' nt agree then so be it they don't have to buy your books you have enough fans that would stand by you and continue to read your wonderful books .x

Kiara I agree just make a really good book this is my favorite series I loved how it ended and don't care what other people say if they don't like it don't read it I love this series and you are a amazing writer