Red Lace's Reviews > The Darkest Night

liked it
bookshelves: gena-showalter, demons, romance-paranormal
Recommended for: romance fans
Read from May 21 to 23, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Maddox, an immortal warrior, holds the spirit of violence inside him and every day he battles for self control. The demon whispers to him, tempting him to carry out destruction and to cause pain. It scratches at his very being, like a wild animal locked in a cage. Not only does he have to live with the vile beast, but he has to die every night at midnight by being stabbed six times in the stomach, and then goes to burn in hell until morning. Not a very joyful life... until he meets Ashlyn Darrow, with her delicious honey scent and cascading honey-coloured hair.

(Please be aware that this review may contain spoilers before reading further.)

I was highly interested in reading this book; the whole idea a little different than the normal vampire romance scene and admittedly I'm an unashamed fan girl of well-muscled bad boys, so this definitely appealed to me on more than one level. The Greek mythology aspect I really liked, such as the whole story of how the warriors came to be cursed with their demons because of Pandora’s box. I would have preferred more information, however, of their world. We know there are goblins, angels and vampires, as they are mentioned, but unfortunately nothing more was said about them. Perhaps further into the series my curiosity will be sated.

I liked the characters decently enough, but Maddox, the lead male for this story, was not my favourite. Paris, Torin and Lucien really stood out for me, which I believe to be case for many other readers as well. Maddox was a bit boring, honestly, and not a lot of information was given on his demon - yes it was there, whispering killkillkill, and it changed toward Ashlyn, but that was it.

The lead female, Ashlyn, was quite likeable, if not a little unrealistic at times. It seemed she wasn't bothered by the fact Maddox had killed Pandora, or of the destruction and pain the Lords had caused in their pasts. She also instantly disliked the hunters, even though they have good enough reason to be after the warriors in the first place. Love must indeed conquer all and I guess I have to get used to the whole instant attraction and feelings in this series, which I'm not used to.

The love scenes weren't actually that hot, or the sexual tension between them. This, I was disappointed about. There is nothing like reading something steamy to get your blood boiling, but my blood was not even warm. The constant talking during their intimate times really made me cringe. I wanted to yell 'SHUT UP' more than once. The romance was sweet, however, and I was happy for them in the end. After difficult lives; Ashlyn growing up in the institute, being tested on and not knowing love or passion and Maddox, bound to Violence, they very much deserved happiness.

I found a lot of the writing repetitive; over and over and over were things repeated. The exact same things. One of them – “His cock jerked in response.” Oh, yes yes, that cock does like to jerk alright! Perhaps I'm just being pricky... I mean picky, but reading the same lines over and over is a tad irritating.

I will be reading the next book, as I don’t let the first in a series wear me down. I did enjoy this one, even though it wasn't totally my cup of tea, but I'm sure it will get more interesting due to the Titans taking over and imprisoning the Greeks. If you don't like the love at first sight thing, then this series certainly isn't for you.