Annette's Reviews > How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?

How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? by Jane Yolen

May 21, 11

bookshelves: children-1-3, children-4-8
Read in May, 2011

I suppose it is not surprising how many children's books are illustrated in a simplistic, spare, or at best cartoonish fashion. And that's fine, of course: art doesn't have to be complicated to be good. What surprises me is how many children's books - even children's books bearing impressive looking award seals - have illustrations that might kindly be described as abstract, but would more likely described as "ugly" by the average 6-year-old. The beautiful "Carl" series (example: You're A Good Dog, Carl!) springs to mind as an exception, but these books also happen to have an absolute minimum of text: the paintings are relied upon entirely to tell the story. The "How Do Dinosaurs" series is a rare intersection of well crafted rhyming text and lavishly executed yet playful illustrations of dinosaur children preparing for bed as their (human) parents look on. I think they're adorable, fun to read, and imbued with useful morals. My 2-year-old is already getting into the act, answering "no" at the appropriate places in the text! We'll be looking to add to our collection as we find them at the used book stores.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?.