Particle_Person's Reviews > Footsteps in the Dark

Footsteps in the Dark by Georgette Heyer

M 50x66
May 21, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: classic-mystery, has-ghosts, has-romance, mystery

Heyer's first mystery, I think, and it shows. It's a classic haunted house mystery, with pretty much every haunted house cliché there is. If the book hadn't been written in 1932, there would have been a Scooby Snacks joke. When the villain is unveiled at the end, he even pauses as he's being led away in handcuffs to get the last word in! ("If it weren't for you meddling kids...") Anyway, it was enjoyable as camp. I'm the type of reader who likes spotting tropes, and this was a good book for that. Genre fiction becomes *good* when the tropes are satirized, twisted, or otherwise puts the reader down in a place where she or he does not expect. This book simply repeats the tropes with no attempt to do anything with them. That is why I gave it three stars. It's possible that in 1932 those tropes were still fresh enough that Heyer felt no need to be more creative with them, but my star rating is for modern readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Footsteps in the Dark.