Marian Willeke's Reviews > Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Abraham Lincoln by Seth Grahame-Smith

May 29, 11

bookshelves: supernatural, fiction
Read in May, 2011

Seeing the name of Abraham Lincoln in the same title as Vampire Hunter, let alone inferring that /he's/ the vampire hunter, takes a certain acceptance of the ridiculous. However, I felt the author did a great job weaving a vampire dimension into an accurate world that we already accept, explaining the 'odd' aspects in history through the vampiric political explanation. There are moments where you roll your eyes in general, but several moments where you think 'how clever'.

My complaint was the introduction being in modern time with this writer character being introduced to compile the journals of Abraham Lincoln, provided by the protagonist vampire. Once we got past him, it became much more interesting, but then we were done with the modern times and that particular writer, so I am not sure what the point was, especially since the modern period clearly was unaware of vampires, which would have been impossible if the journals were accurate as portrayed. That was a big disconnect that hurt the quality of the book, in my opinion.

However, a fun book worth the time to read, especially if you are a fan of history and fantasy/horror.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abraham Lincoln.