CrystalBookSnob's Reviews > The Thirteenth Chime

The Thirteenth Chime by Emma  Michaels

Oct 31, 11

bookshelves: reviewd, horror
Read in September, 2011

The Thirteenth Chime is a great mix of history, an old island prison and straight up creepyness. I'm so glad I read this around Halloween! I also enjoyed this book a lot because it doesn't fit into the normal YA mold. All the main characters are college students instead of high schoolers and most of them already know what they want to do with their life.

The beginning of the story finds the main character Destiny driving to a remote town with her roommate, looking for a relaxing getaway. She also recently dumped her long-time boyfriend and agreed to marry a man she barley knows. Her roommate's mom agreed to let them stay at the house she recently bought and on the first night of their stay, the clock chimes thirteen times and terrible things begin happening.

I liked this story mainly because of the scary factor. The setting, the state of Washington, is very foggy and has an eerie feel to it. As readers, we are all given glimpses into David and Destiny's past and we find out about the accident that separated them. Even though David almost died saving her life, she still broke up with him. I guess she didn't want that hanging over their relationship.

There are two very specific things that bothered me about this book and here they are. 1: Destiny was started to get jealous when her friend started to flirt with David. I wanted to scream, "not only did you break up with him but you are engaged to someone else!" I understand that she probably still had feelings for him and that it's hard to move on but it just continued happening. 2: The point of view would change multiple times without warning. Sometimes I was confused on whose thoughts I was seeing.

Overall, I really enjoyed the creep factor of the book and the whole unfinished business of the long dead prisoner of the island prison. It's a great book to read around Halloween.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thirteenth Chime.