Jennifer Marie's Reviews > The Breadwinner

The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis

Sep 15, 08

bookshelves: 2008-books, contemporary, mg-2008, audios
Read in September, 2008

This is part of a three book series. I first picked up the book to read a couple months ago when I learned about it. I was interested to read anything I could about Afghanistan, especially from a child's point of view.

I've read many books on Afghanistan. The culture, the people, that land, the war, it's history...I've learned a great deal over the past six months I did my research. When my brother went over to Afghanistan I paid attention to the "war" and not so much "Afghanistan". When I started writing Kathryn's Hero I realized just how much I didn't know.

I like the way this book gets the history of Afghanistan across to the reader. Afghanistan's history is extremely complicated, and it's full of fascinating facts. That the author manages to portray it in a way that's understandable and didn't come out as in info dump...I appreciated it.

The story gives you a good idea of what life was like in Taliban ruled Afghanistan. The hardships, the trials, how people survived, the rules, the injustices... I think it was a good book that gave you a good picture of Afghanistan during the Taliban rule. I have the second book sitting on my nightstand and definitely plan on reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Breadwinner.