John's Reviews > The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King

May 21, 11

Read in May, 2011

I loved this one. Immediately right up at the top of the King canon for me. Maybe not into the #1 spot, but in the top five or so. This is one of those that just seems right, the characters, the way things develop, the denouement...everything. The basic idea is so perfect too: a little girl, lost in the Maine woods, whose only connection to the civilized world is the Red Sox broadcasts on her radio. What a great idea.
My ONLY issue here is unique to the audio book. Anne Heche does the performance, and she's great, but one excellent little detail King throws in is the fact that the 1-800-54-GIANT jingle gets stuck in the little girl's head, which is a wonderfully appropriate detail. But no one seems to have told Anne Heche what the actual tune to that jingle is. And someone like me, who has that jingle permanently stored in my brain, gets irritated when she does it wrong.
Also, I think Stephen King is the only person in the entire world who has ever said "puppy sh#ts". I'm not even entirely sure that HE has ever said it out loud.
But really, minor details. Great book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

Nathan Grant I read this one when we were at the mansion. Quick read and still makes me afraid to get bug bites on my eye lids. Horrible.

John Wiswell I like the idea that King, or his little girl character, invented "puppy sh*ts."