Leigh's Reviews > We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families

We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Ou... by Philip Gourevitch

May 22, 2014

bookshelves: nonfiction, rwanda, politics, read-again, history, 2014, africa, audiobooks, print-book
Read from May 21, 2011 to May 22, 2014

I first began this book about a month before my first trip to Rwanda in 2011. Looking back at my scribblings, I see that I was simultaneously reading Gorillas in the Mist and having nightmares of being hacked to death with a machete in my sleep. Not the best way to prep for a trip, so I put both books aside. It's now 2014, 20 years since the genocide against the Tutsi, and I have been back and forth to Rwanda several times. Time to get over myself.

We Wish to Inform You is gripping reportage with first-hand accounts from victims, perpetrators, rescuers, aid workers, and political and military operatives. Once I started it this time, there was no stopping...and no nightmares. Please read this book if you have any interest in Rwanda, NGOs, genocide, colonialism, politics, and/or humanity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families.

07/06/2011 "Beautifully written account of horror and tragedy. It's slow going: I'm afraid of what will come next and when I do allow myself to pick it up it's almost impossible to put down."
09/18/2011 "I had to put this aside until my return from Rwanda. It was giving me nightmares. Now that I'm back, I will give it another shot."
10/15/2013 marked as: save-for-later
05/19/2014 marked as: currently-reading
05/19/2014
50.0% "I am finally mentally able to revisit this work, and even only halfway through, I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in Rwanda, international politics, or the machinations of genocide."
05/22/2014 marked as: read