Darcy's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

May 26, 11

bookshelves: 2011, dystopian, ya
Read on May 26, 2011

There was a lot about this book that I really liked, the idea of the factions, the kids, that they got to choose their faction, and the world of the book. But I wish we could have learned more. What happened that the world changed from what we know to something with recognizable features? Why are there the factions? What is the fence about? I guess I will just have to wait for other books in this series and hope that my questions get answered.

I think that if the factions could have held to their core values things would have worked out better. I do wonder about the ideal of "faction before blood". I liked that at 16 kids can pick their faction, but how hard would that be to pick a different life and know that you would most likely loose all of your family too. That is a big decision for a kid to make.

I know things were subverted, but the Dauntless trials seemed over the top. The kids could have killed themselves or each other. I do get they were trying to teach new values, but it was too much. I didn't like how they separated out the 2 groups, it seems to me that that just created discord between them when they are supposed to be the same.

At first I didn't think that I would like Tris. It seemed like she was only doing what she thought she should, but as she got more secure in herself her real personality came out. The new friends that she made were interesting. Some of them were great and I was happy to see them getting closer, others confused me.

I didn't really see the big event happen until Tris figured it out herself. I was very happy to see the allies that came around to help her. I was disappointed with the last paragraph, yes it ended things, but it also left things up in the air and very uncertain. I will be looking forward to the next book to see where things go next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.