Isabel's Reviews > The Importance of Being Earnest

bookshelves: en-uk, 2ply, 1ls, 2buy, z2012, borrow, zbte
Recommended to Isabel by: My mom
Recommended for: Everybody
Read from November 13 to 23, 2012

Such a great play, if played well, I guess it would be a pleasure to watch it. It is so funny, I was literally laughing out LOUD on every page. I hope I didn't disturb the neighbors. The female characters are so great foolish in an unfoolish way. And the handbag, just unforgettable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Importance of Being Earnest.

Quotes Isabel Liked

Oscar Wilde
“All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does, and that is his.”

Oscar Wilde
“I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever.”

Oscar Wilde
“Gwendolen, it is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth. Can you forgive me?”

Oscar Wilde
“I've now realised for the first time in my life the vital Importance of Being Earnest.”

Oscar Wilde
“The amount of women in London who flirt with their own husbands is perfectly scandalous. It looks so bad. It is simply washing one's clean linen in public.”

Oscar Wilde
“I don’t think that you should tell me that you love me wildly, passionately, devotedly, hopelessly.  Hopelessly doesn’t seem to make much sense, does it?”

11/13/2012 page 7
3.0% "7M pleasure business
So funny!, I may not be able to read it in public"
11/13/2012 page 12
5.0% "I am totally a Bunburyist!!! But I need to know the rules.
11B washing clean public
12T three two none"
11/19/2012 page 35
16.0% "17M ignorance fruit gone
Gwendolen & Cecily are awesome!"
11/23/2012 page 59
28.0% "35B love hopelessly sense.
simply genius!
58B terrible life truth
59T Earnest
Perfect ending, just perfect play."
11/23/2012 page 67
32.0% "So, I read the Excised Portions of the Play, but I refuse to read the Backgrounds. I won't!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Isabel I am laughing so much with this, it sure would be awesome to watch a performance of it.