Cara Davis's Reviews > A Certain Slant of Light

A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb

May 31, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own, favorites
Read from May 21 to 31, 2011

After a disappointing round of reading last weekend, I had high hopes for this book this weekend. To my pleasure, I wasn't let down. This book sits apart from the vast array of Twilight clones currently available and brings something different to the table. The protagonist, Helen, is a ghost who has gone unseen for 130 years until one day, a young man in an English class notices her, and things become rather complicated from there.

The characters, pacing, plot and tone are all incredibly solid. I actually smiled to myself a few times during certain interactions, and that in't something I've done in a long while. Some might be put off by Helen's voice, since she narrates in much the same way that a Bronte character might, but I feel her language both helps to build her character and has enough of a modern edge to make it enjoyable by anyone.

My only gripe with this book is the ending. It felt tacked on and a bit rushed, as though Whitcomb weren't entirely sure how to end things. If it weren't for the ending, this would definitely be rated 5 stars.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Certain Slant of Light.