Jill's Reviews > Pawn of Prophecy

Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings

May 21, 11

bookshelves: fantasy

The Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings is a story about a boy named Garion who was raised on a rural farm in Sendaria by his aunt, the head of the kitchen. All in all, he lived the life of a typical boy on Faldor's farm. As he aged, however, things grew strange, and by the time he was in his mid-teens, his life changed forever. Aunt Pol, along with Mister Wolf, the traveling storyteller, took him away from the home he'd always known, along with Durnik, the smith who caught them leaving and insisted on coming. They met up with a merchant/swindler named Silk and a large man named Barak who were friends with Mister Wolf and Aunt Pol. And thus began the mysterious adventure to find an unnamed item that all but Durnik and Garion seemed very familiar with.
I borrowed the first couple of books of this series from a friend who heard I read some fantasy. In all honesty, it took me a while to get into it. The prologue intimidated me because it was in an archaeic style of writing. For about a month after reading the prologue, I set the book aside. Then my friend assured me that it wasn't all like that so I picked it up again. And I must admit, I'm glad I did. Even the early chapters of the story took me a while, but several chapters in, the plot started building and I started to get more and more interested in the story. It is very intriguing, particularly the mystery surrounding the characters' real identities as well as their mission. What I like best, however, is the humor that Eddings weaves into the story. Frequently the dialog involves characters making barbs at one another or about others they speak of. Silk is one of the greatest for always having an opinion about someone or something. Eddings writes with a great balance of this humor along with action and drama, which proves to make for a great read. A recommendable story.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pawn of Prophecy.