Lisa's Reviews > Insurgent

bookshelves: harper-collins
Read in May, 2012

Originally posted at Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

*spoilers for Divergent*

Insurgent continues directly from where we left off in Divergent, so if you didn't have the time to re-read the first book, I highly recommend you read the very detailed recap Roth posted on her blog. Erudite is looking to start a war with Abnegation and are using mind-controlled Dauntless soldiers to do so. Tris' parents die in order to save her life and we just keep hearing that it's all part of the bigger picture. What secrets are worth dying for and how many more lives will be forfeited to the cause? Tris and Four are Divergent, and together must navigate the precarious politics of their world before all is lost forever. Who can they trust and what are they really fighting for? Oh the mysteries….

The story of Divergent was almost a cakewalk compared to Insurgent. Tris has left behind her days of training and proving herself worthy of Dauntless, and is now on the outside where she has no instructors or factions to protect her. She's mostly on her own, facing the cruel reality of life, and has only Four by her side to keep her sane. So what happens when that effortless connection becomes strained and ridden with uncertainly? Insurgent left fractures in my chest with the amount of emotional turmoil and speed bumps the two experienced. Despite what we saw and loved in the previous book, Tris and Four don't have a completely solid relationship yet and this has a large effect on what takes place in the story. Both make terrible decisions, which spiral into even bigger mistakes that leave consequences far greater than they could imagine. Roth toys with Four and Tris constantly, throwing them into steamy make outs one moment and enraged arguments the next. Yes, it's not easy on the heart but it does make the book that much more realistic and meaningful!

Although Divergent will always be my favourite child, I loved the storyline of this book. We get to explore all of the factions through the characters' travels for answers and there's loads of excitement from sneak enemy attacks, unexpected alliances and dangerous risks. To even attempt to explain this book would be insane! Roth covers a lot of ground and many things will have changed by the time you reach the final page. We uncover lost family members, traitors and secret information, while we delve that much deeper into the groups of factionless and mind-control serums. So much is revealed to us and it's a little bit mind-blowing. You want to take a breather to digest it all but you know you can't pull yourself away from the pages! This is something Roth never has a problem with and I'm certain everyone is now waiting for book 3 with bated breath. She sure knows how to end a book!

While this is an emotional and tense read, Roth makes sure to incorporate enough humour and romance to keep our spirits from crumbling. If you're a fan of this series, you will not be disappointed with Insurgent because it's everything you love and more. Reading a book of Roth's means you'll get brilliant characters and story lines guaranteed. Hope is born and hope is lost; entire lives are changed in a split second. But somehow Tris and Four always remain standing, just as strong and fierce as they were at the start, if not more. Despite their trust issues, they are one of my favourite YA couples and surely you know why. They had me holding my breath in absolute dread for a good portion of the novel because of their willingness to do anything for the other. Dangerous when villains happy to exploit this are lurking around, yes? The final chapter of Insurgent will rock your world so be prepared to be left awestruck. Veronica, will you marry me?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.