Joy's Reviews > The Six Wives of Henry VIII

The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir

May 21, 2011

did not like it
Read in May, 2011 , read count: 1

This is the last Weir on my shelves, and I'll know not to get any more. Immediately after reading Warnicke's THE MARRYING OF ANNE OF CLEVES, I opened this up and met with two of the legends that Warnicke had just finished disproving with her meticulous reasoning and immense contemporary reference list. Weir brushes over her reasoning, and most of the resulting THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII reads like a re-issue of all the old stories including re-interpretations, from down the centuries of English-speaking cultures.

One thing was brought out especially clearly in this book. Henry wasn't the only reason he had so many failed marriages. By the fourth wife, each time there was a new queen the religious factions would evaluate her religious leanings, whether toward Catholic or Protestant, and the opposing religious faction would set out to tear her down. I used to feel sympathetic toward Cranmer, but not after his longterm campaign to find evidence against Katherine Howard.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Six Wives of Henry VIII.