Nathan's Reviews > The Inferno of Dante: A New Verse Translation

The Inferno of Dante by Dante Alighieri

May 21, 11

bookshelves: history, reviewed-2011, historical-literature
Read in May, 2011

This is the best translation of Dante's "Inferno" that I've read and I've been forced to read several in my life. It's a dual language edition, with the original Tuscan on the left page and the translator's version on the right.

What makes this different from other versions is that the author is actually able to use a scheme of word-sound endings to replicate the terza rima structure of Dante, giving it a feel of the Italian's poetry. It accomplishes this without being dry, cumbersome, forced, or incomplete.

If you're looking to understand all the nuances and want a zillion footnotes to the things Dante referenced by allusion or inference, you'll get some of that in the end notes, but you probably want to get access to an academic translation that has those things, or accompany your reading with one of the many Dante study themed university websites instead.

If you want to read the "Inferno" for pleasure, this is the version that you want.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inferno of Dante.