Anne 's Reviews > Parents Who Love Reading, Kids Who Don't: How It Happens and What You Can Do About It

Parents Who Love Reading, Kids Who Don't by Mary Leonhardt

F 50x66
May 21, 2011

liked it
Read from May 21 to 22, 2011

I picked this up primarily to see if it had any new suggestions for boosting my child's relatively weak reading skills. I liked it, although it became a bit repetitive. Basically the author makes the point that the best way to get good at reading is to read, a lot, even comics. She has lots of suggestions for reluctant readers of all ages including Richie Rich and Archie comics, Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys, Tintin, Calvin and Hobbes, Babysitters Club and much more. Her main point is that you need to get your kids reading first, anything, and eventually they will be able to tackle Shakespeare and history texts. The book is anecdotal, based on the author's extensive teaching experience, and if you reject the whole language approach, you won't like this. She makes sense, however, and has plenty of success stories to back up her opinions. I gave one of her suggestions for teenage girls to my child and she barreled right through it, eager for more in the series. That's all I want for at home reading. Granted the book is a bit dated, clearly written before everyone had a computer and no mention of e books, and I don't know about her recommendations regarding choosing a school, because how much choice do you realistically have. Overall, a practical quick read with some good tips and suggestions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parents Who Love Reading, Kids Who Don't.