Lynai's Reviews > The New World

May 21, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ebook
Read on May 21, 2011

The New World is a quick and short read, only 23 pages, and tells about the life of Viola and her parents before they landed in New World. I have only just recently explored the dystopian-fiction genre and so the futuristic theme takes quite a while getting used to, but the simple, engaging prose makes it easier for me to adapt to the “New World scene”.

I have grown to love Viola in The Knife and reading The New World , which is told through Viola’s voice, is very refreshing. The New World begins with Viola and her parents aboard the landing ship and finally seeing the New World with their very own eyes. Viola is shown here to be stubborn, but her stubbornness is being brought about by her fear of leaving the convoy ship and venturing into the New World. Glimpses of her life before getting into the landing ship is shown in a series of flashbacks and here we get to learn more about the character of Viola. In The New World , there appears to be no sign of the strong, brave girl I have read in The Knife but after I finished reading this novella, I can clearly understand where Viola got her courage to fight for survival despite the uncertainty in the New World.

The New World is a great introduction to The Chaos Walking Trilogy, and I don’t know for how much longer I’ll be able to hold on to my resolve not to buy any new books until after I’ve complied with my self-imposed reading challenge.

Excerpt from It's A Wonderful Bookworld.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New World.

message 1: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely 3 stars only?

Lynai Yes, K.D. It's somehow bitin, hindi umabot sa 4 or 5 stars are suspense. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 I also love that part, that hope is terrifying and the transferring of hope.