Mark Peterson's Reviews > East

East by Edith Pattou

M_50x66
May 23, 11

Read from May 21 to 22, 2011

Nothing particularly compelling or groundbreaking, but still a decent read. The style of swithcing narratives with each chapter was somewhat interesting, but probably could have been used to greater effect, as there's little compelling beyond the sections from the main character's point of view.. The sections with Rose's family do little to advance the plot, the White Bear remains a muddled cypher throughout, and the one truly interesting POV (the troll queen's) is never fully explored like it should have been. In fact, my biggest disappointment was Pattou's failure to do much with what I thought was shaping up to be an interesting, sympathetic villainess.

Still despite these complaints, I still enjoyed the novel, finding it in the vain of some of the older "fairy-tale" fantasy novels I remember from my youth, as opposed to the new wave of gritty realism that permeates stories today. Not sure if this was marketed as an adult's or children's novel, and it could serve equally well in either capacity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read East.