Lauraadriana's Reviews > The Cranberry Hush

The Cranberry Hush by Ben Monopoli

Oct 30, 2013

bookshelves: cried-like-a-baby, loved-it, m-m, favorites
Read on May 21, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 2

If I could give it more than five stars I would...This book was a flash flood, one minute I'm making and impulse buy over a blurb on comic books, and the next I'm in the middle of reading some of the best writing I've read in a long time.

Griff, Vince's old college roommate shows up at Vince's door in the middle of blizzard on a Friday morning...Vince has not seen Griff in two years, since graduation, and has not really talked to him in four, things ended strangely with them back then, because Vince did not deal well with what he felt for Griff.

This book had so many things that I loved that I have a hard time even putting it down, the writing was fantastic, reading Vince's voice was like hearing an old friend, that I only knew too well, who was telling me a story in a way he knew I would get perfectly.

Vince and Griff are in that time of life where you are just starting to regain yourself from that shock after graduation where you realize, that that freedom and the feeling that life is nothing but possibilities that you have in college has not actually been growing up...And there you are looking at those possibilities like the most daunting to do list ever...and just trying to figure life out...

Vince is a nostalgic soul, there were moments in that book that made cry just from how personal it felt for him to let me in on what he was thinking, I laughed out loud, I cried, I sighed... and felt for Vince, that dull ache that never does go away of feeling so much, so long, for someone that only becomes more of what you always wanted with time, not less...and the pain and fear of knowing it can't be yours...

This book was perfect for me I fell in love with these two men and with this author's writing ...If I could see the world through Griff's eyes this book would had made me see a kaleidoscope *sighs*...Ben Momopoli did a damn fine job with this novel and I look forward to a lot more from him.

Not bad for an impulse buy, before my first cup of coffee...Only further evidence that a healthy obsession with comics can NEVER lead astray :O)

I fervently and effusively recommend.

14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cranberry Hush.

05/21/2011
20.0% "I'm in love with everything about this book..."
05/21/2011
50.0% "This book...this book..."
05/21/2011
85.0% "Don't want to let these boys go..."

MsMiz (Tina) Alright - just bought this......

Lauraadriana MsMiz (Tina) wrote: "Alright - just bought this......"

T, honestly I can't recommend this enough, it is just lovely...perfect. I think you'll love it!

MsMiz (Tina) Will read it today.

message 4: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola Lauraadriana, along with 80 percent of all other female member reading gay romance, secretly wish to be reincarnated as a man next life just so they too can enjoy homosexual life style

Lauraadriana MsMiz (Tina) wrote: "Will read it today."

I'm rereading it now, love it some much from the very first page...Can never go wrong with a man that takes his comics seriously :O)

Lauraadriana Ares wrote: "Lauraadriana, along with 80 percent of all other female member reading gay romance, secretly wish to be reincarnated as a man next life just so they too can enjoy homosexual life style"

"It would figure the best looking guy on this ward is gay...and he has a sexier than sin boyfriend...I swear to God I'm going to turn into a man. It's the only way".
-Nurse Kelly, I'll be your Drill, Soldier"
One of my fave quotes in a book :O)

message 7: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola There was a Burse Kelly in that book? I read it but didn't notice the Nurse. :D

PNR Book Lover Reviews, Sounds Good, You gotta let me no when you read stuff like this :)

Leslie Nicoll This was such a fabulous book, wasn't it?

Lauraadriana Leslie wrote: "This was such a fabulous book, wasn't it?"

OMG! Fanstastic other than the Locker Rook it's my favorite so far this year.

PNR Book Lover Reviews, LA, Is it really Angsty??

Leslie Nicoll I don't think so...

L

message 13: by Lauraadriana (last edited Jun 06, 2011 09:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lauraadriana Nah it's not angsty...It's just GOOD! On the other hand this book was REALLY personal for me.

Carole Cummings Just wanted to pop in and thank you for expressing your enthusiasm over this one. I started it yesterday and am halfway through it now. I'm really loving it. It's extraordinarily well done. I'm trying to decide now if I want to rip through the rest of it today or try and stretch it out and savor the last half. I have a feeling I'll be sad--in a good way--when I'm through.

Thanks, LA, for taking the time to post this review and spread the word. I'd hate to have missed a gem like this.

xoxo

Lauraadriana Carole wrote: "Just wanted to pop in and thank you for expressing your enthusiasm over this one. I started it yesterday and am halfway through it now. I'm really loving it. It's extraordinarily well done. I'm try..."

You're welcome Carole! I'm glad you picked it up, it is a beautiful book. Ben has a new book coming out September 1st and I am SOOO looking forward to reading it.

BTW when are you coming out with your new books? I so loved your Aisling books, and can't wait for what's next!

Carole Cummings Um, well, I've got a fluffy semi-PWP short story out now, and book three of Aisling comes out in December, barring any delays.

Other than that, I'm kind of procrastinating over shopping out another series, but I do hope to get over my angst soon-ish and do something with it. It's ready, I just have to get off my insecure butt and see if any pubishers like it as much as I do.

Thanks for asking, love. If anything happens, I'll post on my blog here at GR. :)

xoxo

Lauraadriana Carole wrote: "Um, well, I've got a fluffy semi-PWP short story out now, and book three of Aisling comes out in December, barring any delays.

Other than that, I'm kind of procrastinating over shopping out ano..."

Oh no no no! Don't procrastinate too long. I'm sure they're brilliant!! Looking forward to them!!