Jo's Reviews > Life

Life by Keith Richards

May 20, 2011

bookshelves: biography-memoir
Read in April, 2011

I listened to this memoir (more memoir than auto-biography) as an audiobook. It has 3 narrators – it starts with Keith Richards reading the intro, then Johnny Depp reads 4 chapters, then Joe Hurley reads a few more chapters, Johnny Depp comes back for a while and then the last two or three are read by Keith. I found it took some time to adjust after each change to the new voice & accent, but each of the narrators do an excellent job individually; it’s just a little odd, that’s all.

I've always been a Rolling Stones fan - well, the music more than the personalities, but I found this book fascinating. Perhaps even because it focussed so much on the music. Keith even gives mini-lessons throughout in how to play this or that guitar riff or how to tune a guitar to get the sound in a particular song-- and I don't even play the guitar. A suggestion, each time a song is mentioned stop the book, go to YouTube and listen to it done live by the Stones, then come back to the book. Doing this makes really enhances the book.

As to the stories told in the book, Richards is brutally honest, funny, quite likable and very intelligent. And, remarkably he remembers virtually everything & if he can't remember he tells you so, then quotes someone else who was there. Yes, quite a bit of the book focuses on his drug use -- remember it's Keith Richards you're reading about, quite a bit of his life focused on his drug use. He also talks of his growing up years, meeting Mick, the formation of the Rolling Stones, their rise to fame, drug busts, and trials, women, his kids, his conflicted-albeit-creatively rich relationship with Mick Jagger, his guitars, tax exile in France, his band the X-pensive Winos, and more. Reading this book sparked many an interesting conversation with my partner as I told him about bits, and I liked that as much as the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life.

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard This is a great audiobook. Kieth Richards has to be one of the greatest musicians of all time. Joe Hurley did a great job narrating the concluding chapters. Check out his website ! www.roguesmarch.com

message 2: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Are you sure Joe Hurley did the concluding chapters? Those sounded like Keith did in the prologue (same sort of slur. I know Joe did a section in the middle -- I actually liked him better than Johnny Depp as Joe put more emotion into the reading (and he was easier to understand than Keith. Thanks for the link to his website. I'll check it out.

Richard wrote: "This is a great audiobook. Kieth Richards has to be one of the greatest musicians of all time. Joe Hurley did a great job narrating the concluding chapters. Check out his website ! www.roguesmar..."