Scarlett's Reviews > Borrower of the Night

it was ok
bookshelves: library, reviewed
Read from May 26 to 28, 2011

2 1/2 stars

Originally posted on my blog here.

After getting hooked into the FRIGGIN' AMAZING world of Amelia Peabody I had high hopes for this series also by Elizabeth Peters. I shouldn't have gotten so excited.

After the hilarious dry humor and wit of Amelia, Vicky was too light and modern, not enough substance to her as a character or to the story line as a whole. I've heard that the series gets better as time goes on (as in a better guy shows up...hey, romantic tension is one way to keep me interested) so I will eventually try the next book in the series, but for now, this one was a forced finish and not very suspenseful at all.

Not to say it didn't have it's good moments, but after reading the fun filled life of Amelia Peabody, this book just couldn't compare. If you are new to Elizabeth Peters maybe if you try this series first and build up to the Amelia Peabody books you will be better served.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Borrower of the Night.

05/26/2011 page 10
show 1 hidden update…

Vicki I found this one so-so, but keep on going--they get better. Quite a lot better, in fact.

Vicki Weird--I see I gave it 4 stars. I'm thinking 3 in retrospect. That happens with my GR stars sometimes, however.

Scarlett I am finding this a bit of a let down after reading some Amelia Peabody books. It does seem to be the general consensus that it gets better so I'm trying to rush through this one as fast as possible.