Melanie's Reviews > The Queen

The Queen by Steven James

Nov 24, 14

bookshelves: favorites, review-books
Recommended for: Suspense Lovers!
Read from August 23 to 27, 2011

I've read the first four Patrick Bowers Thrillers ('The Pawn', 'The Rook', 'The Knight', and 'The Bishop') and I couldn't contain my excitement for reading 'The Queen' (I seriously shrieked when it came in the mail...I was THAT excited!)

FBI Special Agent Patrick Bowers has investigated many gruesome murder scenes, including a case from 14 years ago that because of DNA "evidence" the killer walks free and has started killing again.

Now Patrick is in Woodborough, WI investigating a double homicide and possible suicide. Patrick doesn't understand why he would be called to the case (he investigates serial crimes), but soon he starts to uncover a High-Tech conspiracy involving secrets from the Cold War and Middle East tension.

WOW! 'The Queen' is probably my favorite 'Patrick Bowers Thriller' so far. It was suspenseful (especially towards the end) and I didn't find it as gruesome as some of the other thrillers.

I also loved how there was a good message. It talked about forgiveness and how if you have to work to be "good" to be forgiven, then it's not forgiveness and how forgiveness requires someone to sacrifice something.

I loved alot of the characters (except the villains, of course). My favorite characters would probably be Patrick, Lien-hua, and Tessa

Patrick, he's intelligent and he would risk his life for others, a real hero. Lien-hua, she seems friendly and I found myself really liking her character .

Tessa (Patrick's step-daughter), she deals with a lot of guilt for shooting and killing a man even though he was going to kill her. Tessa also is a vegan and since I'm a vegan, I could relate a lot to how she feels on that issue.

The only thing I didn't like was when Tessa said a common phrase ("oh my ..."). It fit her character, but I would have preferred that not being in 'The Queen'.

'The Queen' has so many twists and it kept me guessing until the final page (really the final page!) The way it ended makes me really want to read Steven Jame's next thriller set to release fall of 2012.

I recommend 'The Queen' if you can handle reading slightly disturbing things and enjoy reading thrillers (because that's definitely what 'The Queen' is!)

♣I received a complimentary copy for my review. I was not required to write a positive review, but to give my honest opinion and that is what I've done.♣

“Available September 2011 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.”
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen.

Quotes Melanie Liked

Steven James
“Patrick: How do you know so much about dating? You're a teenage girl.
Tess: Because I'm a teenage girl.”
Steven James, The Queen

08/23/2011 page 21
11/21/2014 marked as: currently-reading
11/24/2014
43.0% "Going to "unplug" so I can finish this book. Too many distractions online. ;)"
11/24/2014 marked as: read
show 23 hidden updates…

Katie This ones sitting in my TBR pile. I can't wait to get into it. Is it good so far??

Melanie Hi Katie! I'm only on page 21, but it's already interesting and suspenseful.

Katie Ah okay. Well if it gets ya from the beginning, that's always promising! :-D

message 4: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl Olson Melanie, I cant wait to read this one! Let me know what you think when you are done!

Melanie I loved it! It's my favorite (so far) by Steven James!

Katie Awesome! I began it today. Am 70 or so pages into it, and find it SO hard to stop. The chapters are nice and short, so I just keep goin' and goin'! lol