Cyndy Aleo's Reviews > Valley of Silence

Valley of Silence by Nora Roberts

May 20, 11

bookshelves: vampires, romance

When my mother passed me Nora Roberts' Circle Trilogy, I was a bit wary. Morrigan's Cross was the first Nora Roberts book my mother had ever not finished, and she passed all three books to me without even cracking the cover on the last two books. While I had a hard time getting into the series at first, by the time I got to Valley of Silence, I was hooked.

::: The Circle's Last Stand :::

Valley of Silence is the third book in Roberts' Circle Trilogy, which focuses on six people chose by the goddess Morrigan to take a stand against the vampire Queen Lilith and her army: Glenna, a witch from the present; Hoyt, a 12th century sorcerer; Larkin, a shape shifter from the mythical land of Geall; Moira, Larkin's cousin, a scholar and Queen of Geall; Blair, a vampire hunter from the present and descendant of Hoyt's youngest sister Nola; and Cian, Hoyt's brother turned vampire by Lilith back in the 12th century.

By the time Valley of Silence begins, the circle has formed and moved to Geall, where the final battle with Lilith and her army will be fought. The circle has trained to fight, and is now training the people of Geall to join them. Glenna and Hoyt have been handfasted (a pagan sort of wedding ceremony) and Larkin and Blair are engaged.

The circle trains the men and women of Geall even as they face their own fears about the coming battle. Moira must face her own demons as she comes to terms with the murder of her mother by two of Lilith's vampire forces, as well as her love for Cian.

::: Why This Sound Hokey But Isn't :::

While the remaining romance between Cian the vampire and Moira the Geallian Queen may seem expected and a bit trite, Roberts outdoes herself at telling the story you knew was coming from the beginning of book two.

I was a huge fan of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, and really expected to meet this trilogy with a shake of my head and a huge groan, but Roberts pleasantly surprised me. Not only has she included her trademark research that keeps the reader engaged and not pulled out of the story by glaring anachronisms or inconsistencies, she has also made the love story between a mythical queen and a vampire compelling with its realism. From the beginning of their relationship, both Moira and Cian realize that they cannot have a future, and both deal with that issue in a way that is true to the characters you have been with for three books at this point.

While the book can certainly stand alone, it is best read after the first two in the trilogy. Trust me, it's worth the wait to get through the first two.

This review previously published at Epinions: http://www.epinions.com/review/Book_V...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Valley of Silence.