Virgilio Pigliucci's Reviews > Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

Sep 17, 2012

bookshelves: triathlon, lifestyle, running
Read in November, 2010

During my last interview at Goodreads I had the pleasure of meeting Otis via Skype.... and when He asked what my favorite read was I said: Born To Run.

This should be enough to explain my enthusiasm for this book but here it comes my review.

The very beginning of the book might be a bit confusing, the narrative is pretty scattered and for an avid Triathlete/Runner that I am It did not sound as fun to read.

After the first chapters though the book picks you up in a journey of adventure, learning and discovery of topics like running, evolution and a possible new running technique that will leave you breathless.
Even though I have been a runner my whole life and some of the insights about the mid-foot strike were not new to me, there were a ton of interesting stories of researchers that worked and discovered how we were literally born to run.

Right after I was done with the book I went running barefoot for 1 hour and almost injured myself. After a couple years though I built tolerance to it and now most of my slow recovery runs are with minimalistic shoes to remind myself how our body is meant to be used!

December 2nd I am running the North Face 50K trail run :-)
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Run.

Quotes Virgilio Liked

Christopher McDougall
“You don't stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running.”
Christopher McDougall, Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Christopher McDougall
“You don't have to be fast. But you'd better be fearless.”

Christopher McDougall
“Suffering is humbling. It pays to know how to get your butt kicked.”

Christopher McDougall
“If you don't have answers to your problems after a four-hour run, you ain't getting them.”

message 1: by Brian (new) - added it

Brian nice. enjoy the trail run! planning to do one myself someday...have an agreement with amanda that we'll do one sometime....