Cyndy Aleo's Reviews > Good in Bed

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner

May 20, 11

bookshelves: women-s-fiction

I actually received Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner from a friend who thought I'd enjoy it. I'm still not sure if she thought I'd enjoy it because she thought it was a good book or because I'm a plus-sized woman, but I definitely had a different view of this book after reading it the second time.

::: The Plot :::

Candace "Cannie" Shapiro doesn't exactly have a charmed life. Sure she has a great job as an entertainment reporter for a newspaper, but she has a mother who has come out as a late-in-life lesbian, a father who abandoned the family when she and her brother and sister were still young, and a boyfriend she just "took a break from" and now thinks might have been The One.

Cannie's self-doubts stem from her weight, or so she believes, and after her ex-boyfriend, Bruce, writes about her in an article called "Loving a Larger Woman" in a Cosmopolitan-like magazine, Cannie resolves to lose weight, joining a medical study for a new weight-loss drug.

Of course, things never go as planned, and Cannie ends up pregnant and alone after comforting Bruce when his father passes away. What happens after she finds out she is pregnant is a modern-day fairy tale, with a healthy dose of fairy godmother help thrown in via Cannie's friendship with a Hollywood star she meets after an aborted interview.

::: What I Liked :::

The best part of the book for me was Cannie's lesson (which I can divulge without giving away the ending) of finding that your body image isn't the most important thing in life; that thick hips and a plus-sized figure aren't the worst thing that can happen to a girl. During the course of the book, Cannie meets a plus-sized yoga instructor who is totally at peace with herself, and whispers to herself "role model" which is a whole new way of looking at things: learn to love yourself for who you are, not try to be someone you are not.

Cannie's narrative is also fun to read; she isn't the jovial fat girl that you see a lot as the best friend. Rather, Cannie is the heroine, and a witty, cynical girl who isn't afraid to poke fun at herself, even in the "Fat Class" she has to take when she begins the weight loss study.

::: What I Didn't Like :::

At the end of Good in Bed, Weiner discusses how much of Cannie is autobiographical. Basically, take a failed relationship, and change all the "what ifs" to the best possible thing that could have happened, and that's the story. A movie star stood up Weiner for an interview? What if instead she'd met up with her in the ladies' room and become fast friends with her?

Of course, things like the friendship with the Hollywood star are so far-fetched and unbelievable that you really have to suspend all reality checks you might be tempted to take while reading. Cannie takes control of her life, but not without lots of help that the average girl wouldn't have. It's easier to pull yourself up by your bootstraps when they attached to a pair of Jimmy Choos, isn't it?

::: Overall :::

If you are looking for a fine bit of summer reading and don't mind the "that could NEVER happen" that sometimes swims across your conscious, then Good in Bed is a book that most women can appreciate, but especially those of us with a little bit more to love.

This review originally published at Epinions: http://www.epinions.com/review/Good_i...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good in Bed.