Cyndy Aleo's Reviews > Wicked Lovely

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Feb 22, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, fairies
Read on February 21, 2012

I've gotten into the habit of picking up young adult novels for my daughter's Kindle when they are the discounted novel of the day in Amazon's store. I console myself knowing the price of Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely having been deeply discounted when I bought it.

::: The Plot :::

Aislynn has a gift: She can see faeries (spelled this way throughout, so bear with me). She has been trained by her grandmother that having this gift is dangerous, because should the faeries know she can see them, they would gouge out her eyes or kill her. She has been homeschooled much of her life as a result, but she's now a student at a Catholic school as a result.

Aside from her grandmother's strict rules about the faeries, Aislynn seems to not have a lot of other rules. She hangs out in clubs and with an over-21-year-old "friend," Seth, who has the benefit of living in railroad cars: The steel keeps faeries out.

Aislynn, however, has been singled out. The Summer King, Keenan, has chosen her to be his next choice to be his possible Summer Queen. If she chooses to join him, she can take up a staff and find out if she is, in fact the queen. If she is, she joins him. If she's not, she becomes the Winter Girl, facing a life of pain. If she chooses not to try, she becomes a Summer Girl, enjoying a life of leisure, but no matter what, she's been marked. Problem is, she doesn't want any of this.

::: What's Happening vs. What's Supposed to be Happening :::

Ostensibly, I think this was supposed to be set up as some sort of exciting love triangle: the Summer King, with his alluring self, vs. Seth, the slightly dangerous loner? The problem is, there's no chemistry between Aislynn and the Summer King, no matter how hard Marr tries during one scene where they do finally go out on a "date," and I can't get past the idea of Seth, an adult, going after Aislynn, a high school girl.

Gross.

He's 21. He gives her beer. Her grandmother lets her sleep over his house without even meeting him. I get that this is probably something that's appealing to teenagers, but as an adult, the whole thing gives me the heebity bejeebies. Is this something that should be encouraged? Really? And worst of all, I don't even see much romance between the two of them. He seems more possessive of her than in love with her. He hates her friends. He won't go to high school parties. Gee, ya think?

This is one YA novel my daughter won't be reading. The Kristin Cashore Graceling novels I reviewed recently were far more explicit in the sex scenes and some reviewers argue they are more encouraging of casual sex, but I found them to have healthier relationship role models than this one.

Eyew. The two stars are only for the general mythology.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Lovely.